A senior honors thesis is a chance to investigate an idea, theoretical issue, policy problem, or historical situation of keen economic interest. All economics senior thesis writers are required to take an ECON 985 Senior Thesis Seminar.
"Off-Cycle" Class of 2022 Thesis-Interested Students: If you wish to write a thesis Spring 2022-Fall 2022, please email email@example.com.
Resources for Writing an Economics Thesis
- Thesis Canvas page
- Senior Thesis Guide, 2021-22
- Ec 985 Senior Thesis Registration Form, 2021-22 (deadline: 10/04/21)
- Ec 985 Agreement for Non-Ec Students, 2021-22 (deadline: 10/04/21)
Thesis Formatting Guidelines (TBD for 2021-2022)
- Check out Why to Write a Senior Thesis in Economics by Professor Benjamin Friedman.
- Our Writing Economics guide is a great reference for thesis writers, as well as for anyone doing any writing in economics (course paper, RAship, etc.).
- Sortable Thesis Advisor List, 2021-22 (updated 8/18/21)
- Advice from former thesis writers
- Advice for juniors thinking about a thesis
- Economics Senior Thesis Titles through 2021, available in Harvard Archives
- Ec Dept Thesis Blog, launched May 2020!
- 2020 Hoopes Prize-winning theses available online
- General (not ec-specific) thesis support from the Academic Resource Center
- Undergraduate Research at Harvard, a source of info on research funding, research opportunities like BLISS, PRISE, PRIMO, and more.
- Harvard Libraries Resources
- Sources for research funding on our website and through the College
Human Subjects research and the Institutional Review Board (IRB). Any research that involves experiments, surveys, human subjects, or uses previously gathered data on human subjects containing identifying information must seek IRB approval.
- Apply through Harvard's Committee on the Use of Human Subjects (CUHS).
- Fall 2021 Human Subject Training Seminars for undergraduates: Will be posted here.
- Guidance about research that may need IRB approval and steps to follow for approval.
- FAQs about human subjects research.
- If you have questions, please contact a staff member at CUHS.