A senior honors thesis is a chance to investigate an idea, theoretical issue, policy problem, or historical situation of keen economic interest. All ec senior thesis writers are required to take an Ec 985 Senior Thesis Seminar.
Resources for Writing an Ec Thesis
Check out Why to Write a Senior Thesis in Economics by Professor Benjamin Friedman.
Our Writing Economics guide is a great reference for thesis writers, as well as for anyone doing any writing in economics (course paper, RAship, etc.).
- 2019-20 Thesis Writers: Slides and Videos from this year's Ec 985 All-Thesis Meetings
- Senior Thesis Guide 2019-20
- Ec Concentrators: Senior Thesis Registration Form (thesis registration is closed for 2019-20)
- AM Concentrators: AM Ec 985 Agreement (thesis registration is closed for 2019-20)
- Sortable Thesis Advisor List, 2019-20 (updated 10/2/19)
- Economics Senior Theses through 2019, available in Harvard Archives
Thesis Formatting Guidelines (updated 01/22/2020)
- 2/28/2020: Thesis Relaxation Lunch, Littauer 301, 11:30am-1:30pm (and Ec thesis writers pick up your binder!)
- Advice from former thesis writers
- Juniors: 2020-21 Thesis Interest Worksheet (coming Spring 2020)
Juniors: Advice for juniors thinking about a thesis (updated Aug. 2019)
- Undergraduate Research at Harvard, a source of info on research funding, research opportunities like BLISS, PRISE, PRIMO, and more.
- Harvard Libraries Resources
- Sources for research funding on our website and through the College
Human Subjects research and the Institutional Review Board (IRB). Any research that involves experiments, surveys, human subjects, or uses previously gathered data on human subjects containing identifying information must seek IRB approval.
- Apply through Harvard's Committee on the Use of Human Subjects (CUHS).
- Fall 2019 Human Subject Training Seminars for undergraduates: Posted here.
- Guidance about research that may need IRB approval and steps to follow for approval.
- FAQs about human subjects research.
- If you have questions, please contact a staff member at CUHS.