Study Abroad

How To: 

  1. Visit the Office of International Education (OIE) (1414 Massachusetts Avenue, 3rd Floor). They will help you figure out where/how to apply. Applications are done through the OIE Study Abroad website.
  2. Once you have been accepted to a program, please bring relevant course syllabi to a concentration advisor (or you can email them). They will determine whether a course can count for Ec credit and submit department approval through Studio Abroad when you meet.  Your course plan is tentative at this stage. If you change your course plan while abroad, Studio Abroad will notify your concentration advisor, who can approve (or not) changes.

Will My Course Count?

To count as an economics elective, a course taken abroad must:
  • Have substantial economic content
  • Employ primarily an economic methodology (i.e., use the tools from intro and intermediate economics, not primarily case studies, interviews, etc.)
  • Have mostly readings with economic content and economic methodology

Keep in Mind:

  • Ordinarily, students can count only one non-Harvard-term-time course towards their Ec concentration requirements. This includes approved Harvard Summer School ec courses, approved study abroad ec courses, and approved cross-registered ec courses at MIT.
  • All courses taken abroad are taken for a letter grade; however, they do not count toward the Harvard GPA nor appear on the Harvard transcript. These courses do count toward the limit of two P/F Ec electives that may fulfill Ec concentration requirements.  
  • You can get theory prerequisite credit for a course if it counts as an Ec elective and requires intermediate micro or macro.
  • You can get writing credit for a course if it counts as an Ec elective and requires a 15+ page research paper. To get writing credit, show your concentration advisor the graded paper when you return to Harvard. 
  • The Ec concentration does not grant credit for internships.