There are two types of honors for undergraduates: Latin honors (summa, magna, cum laude) are determined by the College and English honors (highest honors, high honors, honors) are determined by departments.
Concentrators wishing to pursue honors in economics have two options: the Thesis Track and the Advanced Course Track (ACT). To be eligible for high or highest honors in economics, a student must successfully complete the Thesis Track. Concentrators who pursue the ACT are eligible for honors in economics. The specific honors requirements are discussed in our concentration requirements.
To be eligible for summa cum laude or magna cum laude from the College, students must receive high or highest honors from their concentration. Students with honors from their concentration are eligible for cum laude from the College (called Cum Laude in Field below). Students without honors from their concentration may still earn cum laude from the College if their overall GPA meets the overall GPA cutoff for magna cum laude (called Cum Laude below). If you understood all of that, congratulations! For more info, come have a chat with your concentration advisor.
Calculation of Honors
English honors: Ec GPA cutoffs and other info on calculating Department honors.
Latin honors: the following overall GPA cutoffs were established by the Faculty for awarding degrees Magna Cum Laude and Cum Laude in Field for the May 2016 degree period.
Magna Cum Laude in Field: 3.794
Cum Laude in Field: 3.538
Cum Laude: 3.794
Latin Honors cut offs from past years:
- 2015 Magna Cum Laude in Field: 3.772
Cum Laude in Field: 3.525
Cum Laude: 3.772
2014 Magna Cum Laude in Field: 3.769
Cum Laude in Field: 3.511
Cum Laude: 3.769
- 2013 Magna Cum Laude in Field: 3.763
Cum Laude in Field: 3.480
Cum Laude: 3.763
- 2012 Magna Cum Laude: 3.756
Cum Laude in Field: 3.484
Cum Laude: 3.756
- 2011 Magna Cum Laude in Field: 3.750
Cum Laude in Field: 3.480
Cum Laude: 3.750
- 2010 Magna Cum Laude in field: 3.740
Cum Laude in Field: 3.472
Cum Laude: 3.740
- 2009 Magna Cum Laude in Field: 3.721
Cum Laude in Field: 3.448
Cum Laude: 3.721
Honors General Exam
All economics concentrators wishing to be considered for honors must take the economics honors general exam.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS: Honors eligible seniors will take the Honors General Exam on Monday, April 10, 2017 from 1:30-4:30pm.
Previous Honors Exam Review Sessions & Slides
- 2016 Micro/Macro Review Session Video (Note: the audio begins working 52 seconds into the video)
- 2016 Metrics Review Session Video 1, Video 2
- 2016 Metrics Slides
- 2015 Micro/Macro Review Session Video
- 2015 Econometrics Review Session Video
- 2015 Econometrics Review Session Slides
- 2014 Micro/Macro Review Video
- 2014 Metrics Review Slides
- 2014 Metrics Review Video
- 2015- unavailable